Halloween is a season for celebration, both for kids and the young at heart. While treats and costumes usually get the most attention in celebrating this occasion, you shouldn’t forget that your Halloween makeup also has a big role to play in completing your look.
However, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind to ensure that your skin is protected and properly cared for. The last thing you’d want after a night of partying is waking up still scared because of the unwanted effects of the makeup, face paint and glitter that you have used on your face!
For the sake of creating the best Halloween makeup ideas and limiting its side effects, read on to find out the biggest Halloween makeup dos and don’ts that you should follow.
The 12 Dos and Don’ts of Wearing Halloween Makeup
1. Do look gory and weird! If there is one occasion when you can look gruesome and monstrous without getting any violent reaction, this is it. So dress up and bring to life your Halloween makeup idea based on a scary character that you prefer.
2. Don’t use makeup from a Halloween store! Though you’d probably think that it will just be good for one use, you have to know that these products can cause breakouts and clog pores even with single use.
Did You Know?
Majority of the Halloween makeup being sold are from costume companies. Unlike the ones from cosmetic companies, these products are manufactured with cost over quality in mind. Usually, they use colours and ingredients that are not approved by FDA and can cause clogged pores. Worst, their effects can even be toxic.
3. Do wear loose clothing when applying makeup. Unless you want your clothes to look hideous after your Halloween makeup is done, you have to choose clothes that you can easily pull over your head. Before getting your makeup on, make sure to be in button-up shirts or dresses that you can easily remove.
4. Don’t put your best clothes on. While you still want to look your best on Halloween, you should keep in mind that after the day is over, you will end up with messy clothes especially with all the face and body makeup that you will use.
5. Do use a professional-grade barrier cream. With a range of Halloween makeup ideas requiring coat after coat, you’d want to ensure that your skin will be protected from the heaps of makeup that you will be applying. Likewise, you will find this necessary if you want to make sure that the Halloween colours that you’ll put on your face won’t stain your skin until the next day.
Prone to breakouts? Try mineral makeup! Unlike other makeup it is not absorbed by the skin, rather it sits on top of it. If you will go for drugstore makeup, make sure that you will go for water-based, oil-free, non-comedogenic options.
6. Don’t disregard labels! There are certain cosmetics with ingredients that can cause acne and other skin problems. It is best to avoid those that contain isopropyl myristate which is commonly found in eyeliners. Although it makes it easier for products to glide onto the skin, this ingredient is also known to cause acne.
7. Do apply a primer before makeup application. Choose a primer that contains dimethicone to ensure skin protection when making your Halloween makeup ideas come to life. By doing so, you will be able to create a barrier that will protect your skin from irritating ingredients. Furthermore, it will help keep your makeup in place.
8. Don’t neglect the possibility of allergies to occur. Special effects makeup may contain ingredients that are not good for the skin. Henna which is used by some people for face and body art contains paraphenylenediamine (PPD) which can also cause swelling and redness.
Did You Know?
Buddy Ebsen, the one who portrayed Tin Man in “The Wizard of Oz” was hospitalized after a silver paint was used on his skin instead of cosmetic products. If you are thinking of using paint, you better not do it to avoid unwanted problems.
9. Do refer to images when copying a look. If you want to recreate an iconic Halloween character, it is best to bring an image that will help your makeup artist achieve the look you want. Even if you’re wearing large glasses, porcelain veneers, or even braces, you have nothing to worry about. Your Halloween makeup ideas can be achieved easily with the expertise of a pro!
10. Don’t skip using cold cream when removing makeup. Make sure that before wetting your skin, you will apply a cold cream and wipe it off with a washcloth. A face wash and moisturiser should complete your cleansing routine.
Did You Know?
Water acts as a barrier that prevents the from breaking down the molecules of the oil-based makeup. Thus, it is not ideal to wet the skin prior to makeup removal.
11. Do avoid pore-clogging oils. The usual face cleanser that you’re using may not be enough to get rid of your Halloween makeup. It is best to use oils prior to using your cleanser. Choose the ones that can dissolve makeup such as argan oil, jojoba oil, and almond oil. However, there are also those that you must avoid including safflower and olive oils which can clog your pores.
12. Don’t go to bed with your makeup on. While on usual days, it is not advised to go to sleep wearing your makeup, you have more reason to be strict about this when it comes to your Halloween makeup.
Now that you already know what to do and what to avoid when creating your Halloween makeup, the next thing that you’d probably want to know are the best Halloween makeup looks to copy so you can become the star of the night.
Read on as we present ‘boo-tiful’ inspirations from the most popular Halloween makeup ideas of the recent years!
THE MOST STELLAR HALLOWEEN MAKEUP IDEAS THROUGH THE RECENT YEARS
Halloween has brought awe-amazing and the most creative looks especially in the recent years. Here are 10 of the Halloween makeup ideas that you can copy!