THE ESSENTIAL GUIDE TO USING BROW PENCIL, GEL, WAX AND POWDER
by Alyaka.com Editor on Oct 18, 2022
Gone are the days when putting makeup is as easy as applying your lipstick and blush. With the makeup goals that you see on your social media feed, you wouldn’t want to get caught without a well-groomed and perfectly defined brows.
Certainly, your brows can use some of the attention that it deserves. With a bit of colour and some sprucing up on your unruly brow hairs, you can get the perfectly sculpted arches that you’ve always wanted.
So how do you proceed in achieving your eyebrow goals?
In this article, you’ll be able to explore the uses of brow pencil, how to put eyebrow pencil, brow gel, brow wax and brow powder along with some of the most useful tips from the pro that you need to know, should you use brow gel before or after pencil and what color brow gel should you get.
THE GO-TO BROW MAKEUP TOOLS THAT YOU SHOULD BE USING
If what you’re after for is precision, an eyebrow pencil won’t fail you. Simplify choose a soft and waxy brow pencil to achieve a realistic finish. Makeup artists also refer to it as the most essential brow makeup tool to keep handy as it allows the creation of perfectly defined brows by simply increasing or reducing its intensity.
Best for: Eyebrow pencils are especially suited for filling and refining the brows, naturally. Eyebrow pencils also work well in beefing up the brows or patching a bald spot.
Eyebrow gel works like a hairspray, only it is used for the brows. Perfect for those with full, thick brows to keep the brow hairs tamed and in place, thereby allowing you to achieve a well-groomed look. Best of all, brow gels are available in untinted and tinted versions so you can perfectly set your brows without having to top them off with hues.
Best for: Definitely a must-have for people with thick eyebrows as it sets the brow shape, holds and defines the hair while adding just the tiniest hint of colour. Perfect for the final touch to manage your unruly brows.
If you’re always on the go and constantly seeks for a simpler and easier way to keep your brows groomed, this is the way to do it. Not only does it manage the brows, eyebrow wax also creates a fuller and well-groomed look.
Best for: People with brows that show a ‘bald’ spot would love the effect of eyebrow wax as it covers those parts to create a full and well-done arch.
People with light brow hair and those who don’t have so much problem with their arches will find eyebrow powders their perfect match as they contribute to making the brows look fuller, denser and better defined.
Best for: Eyebrow powders are especially suited for people with minor brow issues. They can be used to fill the brows and create a shadow underneath them.
HOW YOU CAN MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR BROW MAKEUP
Face it, you can’t achieve a perfectly sculpted brow by simply knowing the must-have eyebrow makeup tools and owning them. Certainly, a little advice from the experts can help. Whether you prefer eyebrow pencil, brow gel, wax or powder, below are some of the most useful tips from the pros that will allow you to make the most of your brow makeup and achieve natural-looking arches–just the way you want them to be!
PRO TIPS IN USING AN EYEBROW PENCIL,
HOW TO APPLY EYEBROW PENCIL FOR BEGINNERS
- When using a double-ended eyebrow pencil or those that come with a brush or spooly, you can achieve natural looking brow hairs by sketching the shape of your brows first, then brushing over the eyebrows to finish.
- Comb through the brows to evenly distribute the hue.
- Use very light strokes to be able to create an effect that replicates your real brow hairs.
- To increase the saturation, take time to layer the strokes of your brow hairs.
- If its precision that you want, choose an eyebrow pencil with an ultrafine tip as it will allow you to draw the smallest hairs.
PRO TIPS IN USING AN EYEBROW GEL
- Choose a brow gel with a water-resistant formula to keep your brows from flaking or drying.
- Achieve a natural brow lift that will frame your eyes by sweeping the brow gel through your brows using an upward motion.
- For best results, the front brows should be brushed upwards, while brushing the tails of your brows in an up and out strokes.
PRO TIPS IN USING AN EYEBROW WAX
- Choose a waterproof formula to keep your brows perfectly sculpted as long as you want.
- Create a natural sheen to the brows by choosing a brow wax that is not too greasy nor too matte.
- Keep in mind that wax can quickly build up so you better apply lightly to avoid unflattering results.
- Use this brow makeup to fill in the serious gaps in your brows.
- Use a stiff angled makeup brush, then with short strokes blend the makeup while following the direction of your hair growth.
- To ensure all-day wear, use a finisher to set your brow wax.
PRO TIPS IN USING AN EYEBROW POWDER
- Get the best results from using an eyebrow powder by finding the shade that exactly matches your hair colour.
- After finding the best shade, choose the eyebrow powder with a hue that is two times lighter than the eyebrow shade that is the exact match of your hair colour.
- Choose a brush that is firm and dense to allow the deposit of the powder right onto your targeted areas.
- Gradually build up the colour of your brow hairs to achieve a uniform colour, overall.
THE BEST EYEBROW PRODUCTS THAT WE RECOMMEND
Now that you already know the types of brow makeup and have learned some useful advice from the pros on how to get your brow makeup done with precision, the next thing that you’d want to know is finding the best eyebrow makeup from a huge selection of products from retail and online beauty stores.
To simplify your search, we’ve collated the best brow makeup products that can help you achieve perfectly done arches.
This eyebrow micro pencil by Vincent Longo comes with a sharpener to help you create perfect arches in an instant while keeping the sparse spots hidden to leave you with nothing less than an elegant and natural effect. Smudge-resistant and long-wearing, you can make it last all day without a problem.
- Ecobrow Defining Wax
Mineral-based, smudge-proof, and paraben-free, this is the eyebrow makeup that will give you the ethical option to achieve the perfect brow line. EcoBrow is 100% natural, lightweight and smudge-proof so you can achieve a beautiful look with the effects of a full brow. Furthermore, it is enriched with silica and Vitamin E to nourish your brows.
Want to achieve dramatic or soft eyebrows? CHADO Brow Powder can give you more! While it can be used to create that effect, it can also be used in multiple ways as this luxurious powder is effective as an eyeliner, eyeshadow or eye kohl. It also comes with a soft and residue-free applicator to give you the most natural-looking arches.
Vincent Longo’s Creme Gel Liner combines state-of-the-art gel technology to provide you with a richly pigmented shade that is more defined by its subtle pearl finish. With this brow gel, you can get added depth and dimension–minus the dull and flat look. Highly blendable and comes with a smudge-proof and flake-proof formula. It would work fine as a long-wearing eyeshadow.
If you are searching for a brown eye pencil that can adhere to your demands, this eye pencil from Kjaer Weis would be it. With a shade that works well with any skin tone and a soft, smooth texture that glides easily to create a satin finish, this the brow pencil that can fill in your makeup kit needs. Furthermore, it has no artificial ingredients, not tested on animals and gluten-free.
Get natural, fuller, and more defined eyebrows with Rouge Bunny Rouge’s brow expert gel. It uses a state-of-the-art formula to address your brow grooming needs. RBR’s brow gel is also free from paraben, alcohol and fragrances. With its fine spoolie brush, you can gently sweep through your brows to add the colour and natural definition that you want for your brows.
Keeping your brows in perfect shape is now easy with the right tools and techniques. Want to know more? Learn more eyebrow tips and tricks from this article.