10 BEST CHEMICAL-FREE MAKE-UP PRODUCTS FOR ZOOM MEETINGS
by Alyaka.com Editor on Oct 18, 2022
You would think that working from home is the perfect opportunity to give your skin a rest for a while; however, you still want to look great for a Zoom meeting, don’t you? So, you grab your mirror and start putting on makeup again. And, better yet, your face can keep resting if you are using organic cosmetics.
These days, there are dozens of organic makeup brands available all over the world. The tendency of using mass-market products is slowly starting to become the thing of the past, allowing younger generations to use high-quality, natural cosmetics from an early age.
If you are not quite familiar with organic makeup yet, we have reviewed 10 of the best products on the market for you to shine during your online meetings, including skincare products and makeupdecorative cosmetics.
Let’s start with cleansing. Since you are at home anyway, you have plenty of time to take extra care of your skin. The Holi (Cleanse) Cleansing Face Oil serves as a cleansing oil and makeup remover all in one. Its gentle formula contains a rich base of oils that emulsify dirt, oils and makeup, while soothing botanical extracts relieve redness and reveal the natural glow of your face. To protect your delicate skin, each bottle of the cleanser comes with a soft muslin cloth to help you remove dirt and makeup without irritating skin one bit. The key ingredients are:
- Oryza Sativa
- Aloe Leaf Juice
- Lavender Flower Water
- Date Seed Extract
- Calendula Extract
- Chamomile Extract
It is a well-known fact that cameras do not transmit colours, shades, or white balance very well. For this reason, the simpler your makeup is – the better. So, a natural look is ideal for a Zoom conference. Being very pigmented, the Nude, Naturally Lipstick does not contain any sort of chemicals or silicones. Its never-before-seen formula contains nourishing oils and natural ingredients, such as biodynamically-grown Root of Light, Dioscorea Batatas and virgin cold-pressed Olive Oil, to protect your lips from drying out yet attract a lot of attention.
The Kjaer Weis Nude, Naturally Lipstick has a range of 8 different colours:
- Serene – universally-flattering pinky-beige nude
- Calm – warm, café-au-lait nude
- Thoughtful – beautifully balanced peachy nude
- Gracious – light, cool petal pink nude
- Genuine – medium-toned dusty rose nude
- Sincere – medium-toned mauve nude
- Effortless – spicy nude-like rich, toasty caramel
- Ingenious – pure, chocolatey nude with depth
The ‘Un’ Cover-Up Cream Foundation is perfect for hiding dark circles and redness. Jojoba Seed Oil in its formula gives your skin a soothing effect, and Olive Leaf Extract makes the structure of your capillaries stronger. Additionally, it contains no GMOs; it is a soy-free and gluten-free product. The foundation has a nice moisturising texture for a natural look.
The RMS Cream Foundation is available in 16 shades, from Lightest Alabaster (000) to Deep Espresso Chocolate shade (122).
The Kjaer Weis Invisible Touch Liquid Foundation is an organic, long-lasting foundation. It is an absolute go-to product if you are looking for a light or medium coverage and natural sheen. The foundation has a chemical-free formula containing natural ingredients, which is excellent for your skin.
The RMS Luminizing Powder is a moisturising mineral powder that will give you a healthy glow, even through your webcam. Its silky texture does not make your skin tight in any way, yet it leaves it soft and velvety. The powder is literally weightless, allowing you to have a natural look all day long. It is suitable for all skin types, even the most sensitive ones, adjusting easily to any skin tone.
The Luminizing Powder is available in 3 shades:
- Grande Dame (a glamorous champagne radiance)
- Midnight Hour (a magnetic rose-gold glow)
- Madeira Bronzer (a charming sun-kissed bronze shade)
The Grown Alchemist Tinted Hydra-Repair Day Cream nourishes and moisturises your skin, giving it a natural glow and leaving everybody around you in awe. The day cream is made with Phytosterols derived from Rosehip and Camellia Oil, moisturising and conditioning your skin. It is absolutely non-greasy and free from any toxic chemicals.
Tinted Hydra-Repair Day Cream nourishes, softens and soothes your skin thanks to aloe vera and jojoba oil. It goes well with any skin type, even the most sensitive one. With the help of the cream, you may largely reduce the number of age spots, wrinkles and other undesired pigmentations.
Additionally, the Grown Alchemist Tinted Hydra-Repair Day Cream contains Cane Sugar which releases the essential Biosaccharides to soothe the skin and improve vitality. Besides, Mayblossom’s Flavonoids normalise and rebalance sebum levels and increase elasticity around large pores.
FLUSH AND GLOW DUO COMPACT BY KJAER WEIS
The brand-new Flush and Glow Duo is a double palette with cream blush and bronzer. There are 4 shades in each palette matching the Kjaer Weis Nude, Naturally Lipsticks. The colours are suitable for any skin tone, all giving a natural shine and fresh look.
Flush and Glow Duo contains Sweet Almond, Jojoba and Rosehip Oils, Beeswax and Vitamin E for you to create the perfect look. The cream blush creates natural apple-cheeked warmth, whereas the shimmery cream highlighter gives you a fresh, glowy look. The product is gluten-free, contains no GMOs, and has never been tested on animals.
The Kjaer Weis Flush and Glow Duo is available in 4 different shades:
- Inner Light – a deep sunlit bronze with a moonlit, sheer shimmer. Perfect for subtle contouring and enhancing darker skin tones.
- Vibrant Ray – a sun-warmed coral and pale, luminous glow. Ideal for a dewy, rosy-cheeked look.
- Luminous Flush – a warmish pink cream blush and sheer bronze glow. Creates a sunkissed, day-at-the-beach glow.
- Sunlit Glow – a warm sun-drenched pink with a golden bronze glow. The shade adds some depth and warmth to darker skin tones.
This exceptional daytime Balance and Glow Day Oil moisturises, restores balance to, nourishes, and evens your skin tone. The texture is so lightweight you won’t even feel it on your fingertips. It is suitable for each and every skin type and helps balance hydration throughout the day to make skin glow. It serves as the perfect radiant base for your makeup.
Fully organic Kukui, Kalahari and Mongongo Oils deliver are rich in vitamins, antioxidants and fatty acids to protect and regenerate your skin, whereas magical Hemp, Borage and Sweet Almond Oils soothe, moisturise and balance skin all day long.
A beautiful mix of Jasmine, Plumeria, Tuberose and Mandarin offers a daily moment of mindfulness, while Balance and Glow Day Oil maintains skin luminosity for a sheeny glow.
Mascara is an irreplaceable makeup product for video calls. It adds so much definition to your eyes, making them appear bigger and brighter on camera. With the help of the Limitless Lash Mascara, your eyelashes will get visibly thicker and longer. Its dual-sided brush covers every lash, accurately separating them from each other. The mascara contains Aloe Leaf Juice and Avocado Butter to help boost and enhance lash condition in a classic elegant black finish.
Light Slip Highlighter is applied evenly, leaving a natural sheen, while layers create a shimmery glow. Each layer gives your skin a soft pearlescent glaze thanks to ethically sourced mica and simulates natural light on your face for a formal sophisticated look.
The highlighter contains Jojoba Wax and Sunflower Seed Oil which make its texture soft and pleasant. Like the other Kjaer Weis products we mentioned above, the Light Slip Highlighter is 100% organic and silicone-free, and it is suitable for all skin tones.
2 shades are available:
- Beam (champagne)
- Luminous (rose gold)
GUIDE ON HOW TO CHOOSE CHEMICAL-FREE MAKEUP FOR ONLINE-MEETINGS
Basically, what you need to know is that organic makeup is more natural than natural makeup, if that makes any sense at all. The latter is made with natural ingredients which may have been affected by fertilisers and growth enhancers – whereas, the extracts and oils used in organic cosmetics do not get mixed with synthetic preservatives, pesticides or GMOs. Here are some tips on how to choose chemical-free makeup to look effortlessly elegant during a Zoom conference:
LOOK FOR AN ECOLABEL ON THE PACKAGING
If the product has one, it is safe to use on your skin. There are countless independent organisations making sure products meet the organic standards according to certification systems. Each eco-certificate has different standards, but generally, organic cosmetics prohibit the use of:
- Synthetic dyes
- Synthetic preservatives (e.g. parabens, formaldehydes)
- Products of animal origin (e.g. collagen)
- Petrochemical products (e.g. paraffin)
DON’T GET FOOLED BY WHATEVER IS WRITTEN ON THE PACKAGING
You must have noticed by now that some manufacturers like to gain your attention as a customer by putting a big “No Parabens” sign on the packaging. Well, they might not have parabens, but what about silicones and synthetic dyes? Be careful and check the list of ingredients once again, because you surely don’t want to put some Methylchloroisothiazolinone onto your face, do you?
Just so you know: in general, manufacturers of 100% natural (organic) cosmetics are much more modest when it comes to packaging and don’t tend to write a million times how healthy their product is.
LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SAFE AND CRITICAL INGREDIENTS
Contrary to popular belief, one does not need to be a professional cosmetologist or a Nobel-prize winning chemist to understand what makeup ingredients mean. In case you are looking for natural cosmetics, you only need to be able to recognise the difference between safe ingredients and critical ones.
Here is the list of the critical ingredients commonly used in mass-market cosmetics and non-natural makeup:
- Refined products (Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Paraffinum Liquidum, Paraffinum Subliquidum, Cera Microcristallina, Microcrystalline Wax, Ozokerite, Ceresin, Vaseline)
- Silicones, or any ingredients ending with -cone: Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, etc.
- PEG derivatives, or any ingredients starting with PEG (PEG-3, PEG-55, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, etc.)
- Parabens, or any ingredients ending with -paraben (Methylparaben, Propylparaben, etc.)
- Critical preservatives (Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, any chemicals ending with -amine, DEA, TEA, MEA, EDTA)
WHAT TO AVOID WHILE CHOOSING MAKEUP PRODUCTS
We have just shown you the list of ingredients you would not like your makeup to contain. However, this is not just about chemicals and synthetics. There are a few other basic rules you need to follow to have a healthy, smooth skin:
- Don’t use too many brands. Using beauty products of different brands with different sets of ingredients all the time is not such a good idea because it may cause allergies, or the products may just not work together. Stick to a few brands you are 100% sure about.
- Don’t buy a whole skincaremakeup line if you have not used it yet. Start to get to know a brand by purchasing a regular day cream. Apply it for 3 to 4 days to make sure you get no allergic reactions, and if it works well for you, try other products.
- Don’t buy makeup without testing it first. This is especially true for powder and foundation. Since most beauty shops allow it, apply some of the product on your jawline or palms of your hands. Otherwise, you will almost certainly choose the wrong tone that doesn’t match your skin colour.
- Don’t forget about skincare. A lot of women, especially young girls, pay little to no attention to skincare products and only use decorative cosmetics at all times. Without a proper skincare routine, your skin will sooner or later break out. Always make sure it is moisturised enough, using oils, mineral water, and moisturising creams.
Without a doubt, natural makeup and organic cosmetics are far healthier than mass-market beauty products. The fact that you now spend nearly all your time at home and only see your colleagues on your laptop screen does not mean you should switch to cheaper cosmetics. Saving up your money to buy more expensive products for the post-pandemic period isn’t the best idea. After all, your face is still visible, and bad-quality cakey makeup is most definitely not what you are aiming for.
Nevertheless, we’re not trying to say you need to stop using mass-market cosmetics once and for all; although, by reducing the amount of it on your face, you are definitely doing your skin a big favour. Just make sure you don’t use products that contain toxic critical ingredients.
Since you now know how to choose makeup properly and what ingredients to avoid, you will not find it difficult to find a nice organic beauty or care product suitable for your own skin type within your price range. And remember that a beautifully made-up face always starts with beautiful, glowing skin.