Collagen has been a ‘buzzword’ in the beauty industry in recent years. Being associated with aesthetics, it would be possible to simply overlook its important role in preserving overall wellness. Truth be told, collagen is loaded with health benefits that go deeper into the layers of your skin. Want to learn more?
Here’s an infographic that will enlighten you about collagen and what it does to your body.
The Amazing Benefits of Collagen
WHAT IS COLLAGEN?
Collagen makes up 33% of the protein found in the human body. Unlike other anti-ageing ingredients, collagen is also responsible for keeping cells and tissues together and maintaining the body’s optimum functioning. Generally, it is essential for skeletal and muscular systems, dental wellness, as well as hair and skin health.
4 MAIN TYPES OF COLLAGEN
With at least 16 types of collagen, 4 have been recognized as its major classifications.
- Type I: Makes up approximately 90% of your body’s collagen, this type is composed of densely packed fibers that mainly function to support the structure of the skin, bones, tendons, fibrous cartilage, connective tissue, and teeth.
- Type II: Unlike type I collagen, type II is made with loosely packed fibers and common in elastic cartilage which the main role is to provide a cushion for the joints.
- Type III: The key role of this type of collagen is to support muscles, organs, and arteries.
- Type IV: Found in skin layers, type IV collagen is responsible for filtration.
AGEING AND ITS EFFECTS ON COLLAGEN PRODUCTION
While there are different types of collagen in the body, its number decreases as you age. According to research, after age 20, your body’s collagen production is reduced by 1% per year. Lower quality of collagen also becomes more evident with ageing which further contributes to skin that is less firm and supple.
Collagen depletion is worsened due to other contributing factors:
- Vitamin C Deficiency
- Environmental Pollution
- Sun Exposure
- Increased Blood Sugar
8 AMAZING BENEFITS OF COLLAGEN
1. REDUCES FINE LINES AND WRINKLES
One of the most popular benefits of collagen is its anti-aging effects. With collagen, new cells are formed to replace dead skin cells and make way for a healthier, smoother and more vibrant complexion.
Increased collagen production is also associated with:
- Skin rejuvenation
- Improved elasticity
- Skin plumpness
- Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles
Did you know?
The role of collagen in reversing skin ageing signs is recognized in the beauty industry. This is the reason why a lot of and other amino acids.
2. CONTROLS INFLAMMATIONS
Inflammatory skin conditions can cause pain and discomfort and collagen aids in controlling the pain and occurrence of flare-ups, particularly in conditions like eczema, acne, or psoriasis.
Proline and glycine amino acids in collagen effectively help in reducing inflammation.
3. PREVENTS CELLULITE AND STRETCH MARKS
Many women would wish to avoid cellulite and stretch marks, however, there could be a point in life when they just appear due to genetics, ageing, weight issues, and hormonal fluctuations. By maintaining a healthy level of collagen in your body, skin’s elasticity is improved to prevent damages.
TIP: Aside from using collagen-based beauty products, make it a point to follow a diet that is supplemented with collagen. Foods that can boost collagen production and help maintain its ideal level in the body include:
- Fish, oysters
- Dark green, red and orange vegetables
- Citrus fruits
4. SUPPORTS HEALTHY GROWTH OF HAIR AND NAILS
While the benefits of collagen are often taken into the spotlight, you should also look into its role in maintaining hair health and strong nails. This protein supplies the building blocks that contribute to maintaining shiny and healthy hair, as well as stronger nails.
Did you know?
By maintaining the ideal collagen level in the body, you can bid goodbye to problems with split ends and brittle nails as it has also been associated with stronger locks and delayed appearance of grey hair.
5. HELPS IN WOUND HEALING
Scrapes, bruises, and inflammation would be easier to manage with the healing benefits of collagen. It plays a key role in:
- every phase of wound healing;
- with amino acid arginine, it assists in the restoration of damaged muscle tissues.
6. EASES JOINT PAIN
Another issue that comes with ageing is the weakening and deteriorating cartilage resulting to joints that are stiff and painful. With collagen, joint pain and symptoms of arthritis are alleviated while supporting flexibility and mobility.
7. BUILDS MUSCLE MASS
As one of the major components of muscle tissue, collagen plays an important role in the buildup of muscle mass, as well as in the burn up of fats. The concentration of glycine in collagen also impacts the production of creatine.
8. IMPROVES DIGESTION
Collagen is present in the connective tissue of the gut. It supports and preserves the strength of the lining that protects your digestive tract.
Did you know?
When collagen in the gut is impaired, the barrier function of your intestine is also compromised and may result in leaky gut syndrome–a condition wherein particles pass into the bloodstream, later causing inflammation.
The benefits of collagen go beyond your skin. It works great wonders that you should incorporate it not only in your beauty regimen but to your wellness initiatives as well.
COLLAGEN-RICH BEAUTY PRODUCTS THAT SUPPORT YOUR SKINCARE NEEDS
Looking into giving your collagen levels a boost? Aside from following a collagen-rich diet, check out some of the beauty products from our shelves that should help you achieve the results you want.
- MZ Skin Hydra-Lift Golden Facial Treatment Mask – A luxurious mask saturated in gold nanoparticles, niacinamide, vitamin C and collagen to target dull skin and replace it with skin that is firm and plump.
- The Beauty Chef Collagen Inner Boost – An organic beauty product that features a bio-fermented probiotic concentrate that is intended to boost collagen production in the skin for a vibrant and naturally supple complexion.
- Soothe & Smooth Collagen Activating Eye Complex – Packed with a tri-peptide, this eye cream is formulated to stimulate collagen and elastin. It also comes with ingredients that help in detoxification and strengthening of capillaries so you can deal away with dark circles and eye puffiness.
- Sarah Chapman Skinesis Stem Cell Collagen Activator – An age-defying serum that benefits from plant stem cell technology and peptides which aid in skin transformation to help you achieve a skin that’s smooth, plump, and firmer.
- Oskia Skincare Super 16 Procollagen Serum – Boasting of a formulation that features 16 super nutrients and bio-actives, this serum provides the ultimate treatment that targets wrinkles and multiple signs of ageing so you can restore your skin’s luster and resilience.
Did you find this infographic interesting? Never miss a post by regularly visiting our lifestyle magazine.