THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO ZINC OXIDE
by Alyaka.com Editor on Oct 18, 2022
Zinc oxide is known as a physical sunscreen that contains a mineral ingredient capable of protecting skin from UV rays. But aside from offering sun protection, there is more that you need to know about zinc oxide–this along with other interesting facts are what we’ll disclose as this article offers everything you need to know about the ingredient.
What is Zinc Oxide?
Known as a topical protectant, zinc oxide works like a gentle astringent that also comes with antiseptic action. This is the reason why aside from being a popular ingredient in a wide range of cosmetics, it is also used in medical products like bandages, ointments, skin protectants, and more.
IT’S MORE THAN JUST A SUNSCREEN…
While most of the time, zinc oxide is often associated with sunscreen, it also provides all-around skin protection. This ingredient comes with other huge benefits that you shouldn’t be missing out on. Want to know what these are? Read on.
THE MANY BENEFITS OF ZINC OXIDE
One of the safest ingredients, zinc oxide can give your skin the protection it needs from harmful UV rays. It helps protect cells from being damaged, halts the ageing process, and prevents skin dryness by filtering out the harmful UV rays.
Skincare researches have already proved the amazing capacity of zinc oxide to provide natural sun protection–combating even UVA and UVB, aka broad spectrum UV rays, an advantage that other types of chemical sunscreen cannot provide.
To further prove the wonders of zinc oxide in sun protection, here are some interesting facts to ponder on:
- The amount of zinc oxide in a sun protection product can be correlated to its capacity to function in effectively preventing burns. As a general rule, with lower amount of zinc oxide, the shorter the time you’ll stay protected from burns.
The percentage of zinc oxide used is a factor in determining SPF levels. Here’s a breakdown of the amount of zinc oxide in the most common skincare products you’re using:
- Sunscreens – 25-30%
- Makeup Products – 10-19%
People with wounds can rely on zinc oxide to support healing. It diminishes the tenderness caused by sunburns and also gives chapped skin a soft feel.
According to experts, zinc deficiency contributes to slower wound healing. It helps with skin repair by keeping the area surrounding the wound moist and clean and supplying the added zinc that the skin needs to facilitate repair.
Problem with oily skin? Zinc oxide can help!
A common ingredient used in lotions and creams, it works as a skin astringent that prevents oil formation on the surface of the skin. It is a substance that effectively works in drying excess oil in skin. More than that, it also helps revive your skin’s glow by shrinking large pores and tightening skin to help conceal damaged skin.
Zinc oxide is also effective for acne treatment as it combats skin irritation and inflammation to keep problems with acne breakouts at bay.
Other than that, it also helps regulate sebum production in the skin and contributes in lowering:
- Antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that commonly trigger acne.
- Inflammation that also occurs as a reaction to bacteria-induced acne, as well as clogged pores.
- The possibility for the recurrence of acne.
Aside from providing effective sun protection, researches also reveal that zinc oxide facilitates the growth of new tissues, heals skin, and prevents inflammation.
This is the reason why it has become an ingredient of choice for products that are intended for the treatment of cold sores, skin ulcers, burns, skin irritation, scrapes, and even diaper rash.
Did you know?
Zinc oxide containing products helps repair damaged, dry and wounded skin better. Aside from its healing properties, it also allows better absorption of active ingredients needed by the skin.
BACTERIAL INFECTION PREVENTION
As previously mentioned, zinc oxide can aid in tissue repair, wound healing, and fighting inflammation. Furthermore, it also prevents bacterial infection by keeping skin dry and reducing the chance for contaminants to penetrate the skin.
In a 2003 research published in the Journal of Nutrition, it is revealed that zinc oxide contributes in lowering incidences of infections by preventing the adhesion and internalization of bacteria while also reducing skin permeability and improving tightness to keep bacteria at bay.
Did you know?
Zinc and other trace minerals are required by the body for collagen synthesis which is essential in the formation and repair of connective tissue.
ZINC OXIDE: USEFUL TIPS TO MASTER
1. Sunscreen application should be a daily habit. There is no better product to use than one that contains an effective but gentle ingredient like zinc.
2. Zinc oxide is suitable even for those with sensitive or acne-prone skin. Unlike chemical sunscreens that can cause hormonal disturbance, using products with zinc oxide as one of the main ingredients are a great choice even for those with sensitive skin. These are the ones that can prevent acne breakouts and control sebum production.
3. As an elemental metal, zinc carries an electric charge that benefits the body. Look for this ingredient not only in beauty and skincare products, but as well as chemical and household essentials.
4. Zinc oxide is a proven-effective ingredient. To further enhance its effects, here are a few more tips to keep in mind when using sunscreens or ointments with the ingredient.
- Sunscreens: Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before going outdoors. Spread thoroughly to reach areas that are prone to burns like the tops of the ears and head, nape, lips, and feet. Use Vitamin D as supplement to further prevent burns.
- Ointments: Especially indicated for the treatment of minor wounds. Apply with clean hands and leave the cream exposed or use a sterile bandage to allow scrapes, abrasions or irritated skin to heal.
Already thinking of shopping for zinc oxide-based beauty products? Search no more. We’ve already come up with a list for you.
- Juice Beauty Green Apple Brightening Moisturiser
- Soleil Toujours Daily Moisturiser
- De Mamiel Exhale Daily Hydrating Nectar
- Circ-Cell Daily Hydration Broad Spectrum
- Ilia Beauty Tinted Lip Conditioner
Did you find this article about zinc oxide a useful read? Regularly check out our lifestyle magazine to stay up-to-date with tips and updates that can up your beauty routine.