ARGAN OIL: UNCOVER THE SECRETS TO HAVING BEAUTIFUL HAIR
by Alyaka.com Editor on Oct 18, 2022
Over the years, Argan oil, whether alone or in combination with other ingredients, has brought significant contributions in the beauty world and continues to become a powerhouse ingredient that is being used in the industry today.
Although you must already be familiar of Argan as a common ingredient featured in a range of beauty products that you are using, there are other important facts that you must know to understand its benefits and how you can make the most of this precious ingredient, especially in caring for your hair.
Below you will uncover some interesting information that tells more about Argan oil, other than what is usually presented in beauty product labels.
What is Argan Oil?
Also known as liquid gold, Argan oil is produced from the kernels of the Argan tree and provides a lot of nutrients, including Vitamin E and fatty acids. It also has the amazing qualities that bring positive effects for the entire body, particularly for the hair and skin.And because it is natural, it is .
Although it has earned the name ‘liquid gold’, this oil is not just for those who can afford a luxurious beauty regimen. Anyone can reap the benefits of argan without necessarily spending a lot. In fact, you can try DIY beauty solutions to make the most of the oil even when combined with other ingredients.
To give you more ideas on how Argan oil works to boost your health and how it stands out from other essential oils in terms of haircare, this article provides an in-depth information about the most important and interesting facts that you must know about this liquid gold.
THE THERAPEUTIC BENEFITS OF ARGAN OIL
Edible and hand-pressed argan oil comes with the following medicinal properties:
- Capable of protecting the liver and can increase bile secretion
- Can prevent increase in blood sugar levels with its anti-hyperglycemic effect
- Works as an antioxidant that diminishes free radical damage in the body, both external and internal
- Acts as a cicatrizant that supports wound healing
- Helps improve lipid profile
- Slows down the oxidation of LDL cholesterol and boosts HDL cholesterol
- Reduces cancer and delays its onset by retarding the growth of malignant cells
- Maintains a healthy cardiovascular system by preventing the formation of atheromatous lesions in the blood vessels.
But apart from its medicinal properties, Argan oil also comes with benefits and and beauty products.
- Works as an emollient, which makes it an effective moisturiser
- With regular application (2x a day for a month), using a cosmetic grade argan oil reduces the amount of sebum, thus suppressing formation of oil and acne, naturally.
- Preserves skin strength and health, making it an effective ingredient that beats the signs of ageing.
With all its amazing benefits and how it works to bring improvements into your beauty regimen, there are other interesting facts that you have to know about the liquid gold.
Below are some of the must-know facts about Argan oil that will let you in on some information that explains the value and rarity of the precious substance.
WHAT YOU MUST KNOW ABOUT ARGAN OIL
- Argan oil is one of the rarest ingredients in the world and remains endemic in Morocco.
- The Moroccan argan forest where the argan oil is harvested has been declared as a UNESCO world heritage site in 1999.
- Argan farming is a women-only industry as declared by the King of Morocco. This made it possible for the process to stick with the tradition.
- A century-old technique is used in extracting argan oil which involves natural and handmade processes.
- To produce high-quality argan oil, the pulp has to be kept intact in gathering the nuts.
- ‘Goat nuts’ refer to the argan nut that has already been damaged by goats. These nuts have a foul odour and are available in the market at a lower price.
- Argan trees are grown organically, which means that argan oil used in cosmetics are free of pesticides and chemicals.
- To make a litre of Argan oil, 20 hours of manual work is allotted. Which means a woman has to work 3 days to produce it.
- Argan oil is a natural carrier of squalene, a type of lipid produced in skin cells that help improve skin hydration by boosting cell regeneration and oxygenation.
- Compared to other oils, argan oil is more compatible with the skin and penetrates better.
- Argan oil has 3x the amount of Vitamin E than what’s found in olive oil.
- Argan oil contains high concentrations of omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids that are essential for skin health.
YOUR OPTIONS: PURE ARGAN OIL AND ARGAN OIL PRODUCTS
Argan oil is widely available in the market and your option will include pure argan oil and the beauty products that use the ingredient. While both are effective, there are considerations that will guide you in choosing the product that is right for you.
Pure Argan oil is 100% natural and it is the preferred option if you are looking to get concentrated effects. On the other hand, in choosing cosmetics and beauty products that contain argan oil, you have to look into the convenience of using it as well as the results that they will produce.
Also, spending higher on products with this ingredient can be expected because of the rarity of this liquid gold. Oftentimes, you will find better value and outstanding results from these products even when a small amount is used.
ARGAN OIL FOR THE HAIR AND SCALP: WHAT’S IN THIS LIQUID GOLD?
Argan oil offers beauty benefits. And while argan oil is known as the skin superfood, which explains its effects on the skin, using Argan oil for the hair and scalp also brings amazing results, making it a suitable hair treatment and conditioner.
Why is this so?
Well, there are lots of nutrients found in Argan oil–with most of them working to nourish and beautify the hair.
To give you some idea, here’s a list showing the nutrients that you will get from this precious oil.
- Oleic acid
This is a type of fatty acid that naturally occurs in various animal and vegetable fats and oils that provide superior moisturization. Perfect as a lubricant to restore dry and damaged strands. Controls water loss in your hair while keeping it soft and more pliable.
- Linoleic acid
Recognised as an essential fatty acid for the hair that controls water loss from your hair and protects the scalp from irritants. It speeds up hair growth while maintaining a healthy scalp.
- Vitamin E
Argan oil is a great source of vitamin E–a nutrient that is considered as a skin and hair vitamin that shields the hair from free radicals, strengthens hair strands, and retains their moisture.
- Ferulic acid
A phenolic compound that is rich in antioxidant. This nutrient keeps the hair strands protected from free radicals. It also guards the hair against UV rays, to prevent hair damage, hair loss and untimely greying of hair.
This is a substance that restores the hair’s ideal condition and keeps it free from damage, particularly from the harmful effects of free radicals and UV rays.
- Plant sterols
Plant sterols are substances that are naturally found in vegetable oil, nuts and seeds. They are most effective in retaining hair moisture and protecting collagen, which is essential in maintaining healthy hair condition.
There are a lot of nutrients found in Argan oil, all of which work together for healthy hair growth. With bio-active nutrients such as GLA, Vitamin E and plant sterols found in argan oil, it is easier to nourish the hair and keep it in top condition.
Certainly, undoing the damages on your hair is possible with this liquid gold. But if you are not yet convinced about the wonders of Argan oil for the hair, you will find more reasons to include it in your beauty regimen especially with the amazing beauty benefits that it brings.
10 REASONS TO USE ARGAN OIL FOR THE HAIR
#1. GET NATURAL HYDRATION
Do you dream of having straight and silky hair? Argan oil naturally hydrates the hair so you can have smooth hair, just the way you want it.
#2. BOOST HAIR STRENGTH
Want to grow strong and healthy hair? Argan oil can penetrate deep into the hair shaft, allowing hair to become more elastic to prevent breakage. Its nourishing ingredients, including unsaturated fatty acids, Omega 3 and 9 also support healthy hair growth, improve hair strength, and heal split ends.
#3. TAME YOUR TRESSES
Do you deal with hard-to-manage hair? Argan oil can help you control and tame your hair by restoring the smoothness of your strands.
#4. REVIVE YOUR HAIR’S NATURAL MEMBRANE
Natural antioxidants present in Argan oil strengthen the hair by repairing the damaged cellular membrane of hair. Use it as a deep leave-in treatment for the best results.
#5. STYLE YOUR HAIR WITHOUT THE WORRIES
There are lots of easy hairstyles that you can try with your styling tools. But if you worry of the damages that they may incur, you will find a suitable solution in argan oil. It can work as a deep leave-in treatment to bring your hair back to life, renew it and regain its shine.
#6. PROTECT YOUR HAIR FROM COLOUR TREATMENT
Worried about your hair becoming brittle after a colour treatment? Argan oil can take care of that. And not only that will it keep away the damages that the treatment may cause, it will even increase the life of your colour-treated hair.
#7. REVITALISE SCALP TO FACILITATE HAIR GROWTH
With the vitamins and antioxidants present in Argan oil, it will be a suitable remedy for premature hair loss or scanty hair growth. When used as a treatment, it can revitalise the scalp and facilitate the growth of healthier and stronger hair.
#8. RESTORE YOUR HAIR’S LUSTRE AND SHINE
Argan oil for the hair effectively heals and revives hair health even in the presence of extreme environmental conditions and excessive styling. It is also capable of locking in hair moisture, thus adding shine and lustre to your tresses.
#9. BEAT DANDRUFF
Dandruff problems? Argan oil works to effectively moisturise scalp and prevent dryness and dandruff. Unlike other products, argan oil is easily absorbed and doesn’t leave any greasy residue.
#10. USE IT FOR OVERNIGHT HAIR TREATMENT
Make the most of the effects of argan oil by using it as an overnight hair mask treatment, particularly for special events happening on the following day. Doing so will make your hair feel smoother, look sleek and voluminous.
Have you already tried using Argan oil as a part of your hair care regimen? Let us know by leaving a comment below.